What Makes a Great School Leader? | Edutopia

By Elena Aguilar

This is the time of year when, for many different reasons, some teachers consider taking positions at other schools. I’ve received a number of calls from friends and colleagues this spring asking for my advice on this difficult decision. Here’s what I always say: It’s all about the principal or head of school. Find a site with a great leader and while your struggles might not be over, they’ll be significantly reduced. The three qualities I find most indicative of a great school leader are visionary leadership, community builder, and emotional intelligence.

Visionary Leadership

You’ve probably heard a term like “visionary leadership” used in reference to a site leader. But what does that mean? How do you know if a leader is a visionary? A visionary leader is clear about what he or she believes and knows is best for children — for their academic, social, and emotional learning. The leader’s individual beliefs have developed in collaboration with other stakeholders and articulated into some kind of vision or mission statement.

via What Makes a Great School Leader? | Edutopia.