BHS English teacher named as district Teacher of the Year – Benicia Herald

By Jasmine Weis

This past week, I sat down with recently crowned district teacher of the year, Kim Thompson, to hear what it really takes to win the award. To my surprise, there was much more involved in the procedure than just superb teaching methods and a school nomination. The Benicia High School English teacher divulged to me a complex process that goes into the prestigious title, one that I found strikingly similar to my experience with college applications.
Once a teacher from each school is chosen, candidates must complete a litany of paperwork, including a professional bio, resume, and three letters of recommendation. Several essays are also part of the submission, with topics ranging from teaching philosophy to school-community involvement and even education trends and issues. Once completed, the lengthy applications are reviewed by a committee of former district and county teachers of the year, who then select a winner.

Source: BHS English teacher named as district Teacher of the Year – Benicia Herald