Vacaville Teachers Association president bids classroom, union adieu after long career – The Reporter

By Richard Bammer

After 33 years as a Vacaville Unified teacher, more than five of them as president of the Vacaville Teachers Association, Moira McSweeney is entitled to some self-deprecating humor.

“I’ve had students come back over the years — and some of them are a little older than I would have liked them to be,” she quipped during an interview Thursday in the Educational Services Center, nearly a week after her last day on the job as a longtime second-grade teacher at Cooper Elementary.

“They would remind me of the little things I’ve said that made a difference in their lives,” McSweeney, 57 and a graduate of the University of California, Davis, added, smiling. “I don’t remember what they were.”

Her lighthearted responses were among many to questions during a nearly 45-minute conversation, much of it serious-sounding and reflective as she looked back over a long career filled with lots of changes in the educational landscape of the district, state and nation.

Source: Vacaville Teachers Association president bids classroom, union adieu after long career