The Reporter: Vacaville Unified School District superintendent retiring

By Richard Bammer/ RBammer@TheReporter.com

Saying he wanted “to provide fiscal relief” for the Vacaville Unified School District but honor his contract, Superintendent John Niederkorn will retire June 30 but stay on as the district’s top official for one more year, drawing his retirement pay and earning a relatively small, five-figure sum for continuing to work.

The longtime public school teacher and administrator made a brief announcement at Thursday’s board of trustees meeting, then issued an official press release Friday morning. He plans to fulfill his two-year contract, which ends June 30, 2013. For his remaining year of service, he will earn $31,020. That income is the current limit for a retiree, under the California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS), who works for a school district.

“I’m at the age when time is more valuable than money,” Niederkorn, who turns 63 on June 3, said Friday. “There was a time in my life when I thought I was going to live forever. I have grandkids. This is the right time for my wife and family, and it’s one way I can provide a little bit of fiscal assistance to the district as well.”

via Vacaville Unified School District superintendent retiring.