Beyond Twitter and Google+: Staying Focused on Real Connection | Edutopia

By Andrew Marcinek

One of my favorite movie trilogies of all time is Back to the Future. (Sorry, Edutopia, Star Wars is a close second.) However, rather than elaborating on why one is better than the other, I’m going to single out one scene. It happens in the Back to the Future sequel and shows a confused Marty McFly walking around an alternate Hill Valley in which Biff Tannen rules everything, and nothing is quite the way it should be. This scene reminds me a lot of how I currently feel about Twitter and education.

The Good Ol’ Days

I have been using Twitter since 2007, thanks to the suggestion of Springfield Township High School librarian, Joyce Valenza. This medium has connected me to so many great educators and people whom I now consider great friends. It has helped me through down times in my career and allowed me to share the proud moments. I’ve participated in many “chats” driven by hashtags and even crowdsourced comments about my grandmother’s hand-painted Easter egg a few years ago. She couldn’t believe that anyone would care or comment on such a thing, but was genuinely awestruck by all the attention.

via Beyond Twitter and Google+: Staying Focused on Real Connection | Edutopia.