Solano Community College’s interim leader came out of retirement to help – The Reporter

By Richard Bammer

Stan Arterberry served 20 years of a 35-year career in higher education as CEO of several California community colleges, including eight at Solano Community College, and, retired in 2008 after six years as chancellor for West Valley-Mission Community College District in Saratoga.But in June, citing personal reasons during an interview Tuesday at SCC’s main Fairfield campus, he decided to come out of retirement to lead SCC one more time — temporarily, at least for the next five months — after replacing Jowel Laguerre, who resigned to become chancellor of the Peralta Community College District in Oakland.

“In my career, I’ve led four community colleges, and the ones I have the most affinity for are Riverside (City College) and Solano,” Arterberry, 67, said. “I feel a real connection to them, especially Solano. I have personal feelings for Solano and what it means to the citizens of Solano and wanted to help in any way I can.”

By all accounts, such statements are vintage Arterberry, the youngest son of an auto mechanic raised in Brawley, in the Imperial Valley, who more than a dozen years ago donated a kidney to a brother.

via Solano Community College’s interim leader came out of retirement to help.