Why do teenagers miss so much school? And what can we do to get them to come back to class?
Get Schooled, a nonprofit that connects to thousands of students across the country, decided to find out. In late July, the group conducted an e-mail survey of 15,000 students active on the Get Schooled website. More than 1,300 students from 46 states responded, a mix of age groups and racial and ethnic backgrounds. Only a quarter of the students reported missing more than five days in the year.
The reasons they gave for missing school were enlightening:
- I wasn’t feeling well: 79%
- I had obligations with my family: 40%
- I didn’t feel like it: 21%
- I didn’t do my homework/study for a test: 17
- I didn’t have a ride: 10%