Teacher Recruitment and Training Bills – Year 2016 (CA Dept of Education)

State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson announced today that legislation is advancing at the state Capitol to help address a growing shortage of teachers in California.

Several bills moved forward last week as the Legislature faced a bill deadline. Torlakson spoke in favor of the legislation at a Capitol news conference earlier in the year, when legislators introduced new measures to recruit more educators and help them earn teaching credentials.

“I will continue to work with all members of the Legislature who want to help talented and committed people enter this rewarding profession,” said Torlakson, who started his career as a science teacher and coach. “I am spreading the message when I speak at the state Capitol and at schools and events all around the state: California needs more teachers. Teaching is a wonderful profession with challenges—but also great rewards. Teachers have the opportunity to have a profound positive impact in a young person’s life.”

Source: Teacher Recruitment and Training Bills – Year 2016 (CA Dept of Education)