SPI Pledges to Help Counter the Fentanyl Crisis – Year 2023 (CA Dept of Education)

State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond provided testimony at a joint hearing of the California Assembly Select Committees on Fentanyl, Opioid Addiction, and Overdose Prevention; Public Safety; and Health to share updates on efforts he and the California Department of Education (CDE) have undertaken to address the ongoing opioid crisis that claimed the lives of over 6,800 Californians in 2021 alone

“There are plenty of resources to help. We all have the ability to help save a life,” Thurmond said. “So we encourage students who need help to call 9-8-8 and obviously any one of our thousand school districts can contact the CDE directly for help on how to access Narcan, drug prevention, education, and substance abuse treatment programs. I want to assure these committees and the people of California that my team at the CDE and I are doing what we can to fight the fentanyl epidemic. We are focused not only on prevention and education but effective treatments, especially naloxone (Narcan)—a lifesaving drug when administered after an opioid overdose.”

Source: SPI Pledges to Help Counter the Fentanyl Crisis – Year 2023 (CA Dept of Education)